Hola bellas! If you haven’t tried tequenos before, let me tell you a little bit about them. Venezuelan tequenos are a basically cheesy breadsticks made with white corn meal. The original recipe has the cheesy breadsticks deep fried, which is not healthy, so I decided to share a healthy version of the recipe so that you can still enjoy the savory flavors of the corn meal and cheese together guilty-free.
This plate is perfect for breakfast or for a late afternoon snack! It is also a meal that the kids love! I will link the cutter shapes I used below in case you want to use the same for yours!
1 cup of white corn meal
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup of warm skim milk or reduced fat milk
1 cup of shredded reduced fat Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Scramble the egg and set on the side
- Warm the milk in the microwave for 30-40 seconds
- In a medium sized mixing bowl mix all the ingredients using a silicone spatula
- Start making the shapes you want using your hands. If the dough is too dry, add a little bit of water. I used these cute little dinosaur, star and heart shaped cookie cutters that I got from Amazon for the kids breakfast and they loved it! Tip: Make sure that you use the rings and not the cutters to shape the dough! I use the cutters for things that are firm so that way the cutters don’t get messy!
- Place shapes on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden
That’s it mammas! I hope you and your kids enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget to follow my Instagram page for more healthy recipes and fitness tips!